Iran in the news again but not for what you may expect, but does not all surprise people. As the Associated Press reports, several Iranian news outlets reported that Iran is planning to sue Hollywood over an unrealistic portrayal of the country in the Oscar winning film “Argo.” One such news outlet, pro-reform Shargh daily, said Iran officials are in talks with Isabelle Coutant-Peyre, a french lawyer, over how and when to file a lawsuit. The movie portrays the 1979 attack o the U.S. Embassy in Tehran where 52 Americans were held hostage for 444 days, but six staffers were sheltered by the Canadian ambassador. The main focus of the film is on their escape using a fake movie as a cover story. While the movie has receive plenty of acclaim and accolades, after the Oscar win in February, Iranian officials have come out publicly about the movie dismissing it as pro-CIA and anti-Iran propaganda. The lawyer stated to the semi-official Mehr news agency that “We will be able to block distributors of the movie, force them to apologize and challenge them to confess that the movie is nothing but a sheer lie.” Although the movie never showed in Iranian theaters, Iranian have found the movie through bootleg DVDs setting off a debate between those Iranians that took part in the 1979 Revolution who saw the movie as inaccurate and those too young to recall the events who wanted a different perspective. A late Monday viewing of the movie with critics and Iranian cultural officials, sparked the lawsuit but after the gathering called the “Hoax of Hollywood” it remains unclear what charges Iran could raise and what court Tehran could turn to for action according to the Associated Press. According to people in attendance at the gathering, the movie is seen as a “violation of international cultural norms” and in a statement proceeding the meeting comment that “awarding an anti-Iran movie is a propaganda attack against our nation and entire humanity.” Officials are accusing the movie of depicting Iranians as “too violent” and the movies director did not consult other documentaries on the embassy storming or discuss the reasons for the crisis such as tensions over the U.S. CIA-aided counter-coup in 1953 that took down democratically elected Prime Minister in order to restore pro-Western monarchy in Iran.
Of course this is not the first time Hollywood has been under fire for its depiction of history especially when it comes to Iran who believes that the portrayal of its country in movies is rather distorted. In 2009, Iran felt it was owed an apology from Hollywood actors visiting the country and movie industry officials for insulting Iranians in films like “300” and “The Wrestler.” In 2007, the movie “300” which was a hit in the United States angered Iranians because it insults their ancient culture and stirs animosity toward Iran. The 1991 film, “Not Without My Daughter”, a story about an American woman fleeing Iran with her daughter angered Iranians who accused the film of portraying Iranians as dirty, boorish and cruel, Islamic fanatics and womanizers. The Iranian state run film industry boycotted this year’s Oscars due to a Internet video clip made in the U.S. denigrating the Prophet Muhammad setting off protests in the Muslim world.
This story gets stranger and stranger. Veteran actor, Robert Wagner 82, has declined numerous times to cooperate with the renewed investigation into the 1981 death of his wife, Natalie Wood. Wagner’s attorney responded by saying that her client has complied with the investigation form the beginning and has no further information to offer. Lt. Corina of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office says that Wagner has changed his story over the years. Her death is shrouded in mystery and at the time investigator could only come to the conclusion that her death was an accidental drowning. The actress had been boating with her then husband Wagner and actor Christopher Walken prior to her death. When her body was found floating in the water mile away from the boat, her body was covered in bruises. The case reopened in 2011 after the boat’s captain, Dennis Davern, came forward to say that Wagner and his wife were fighting prior to her death which Wagner admitted to. Right now, the police have no suspects and Wagner is not considered one at this time. The death has now been ruled “undetermined.” Wagner is still the only person on the boat from that night who has not spoke to detectives about that night in this new inquiry.
Very interesting mystery altogether. In a newly revised autopsy, the LA County Coroner says that Natalie Wood had bruises and scratches on her arm, wrist and neck before she entered the ocean off Catalina Island and drowned in 1981. The report has reignited speculation that her death was not an accident as the supplemental report details much more than the original since the Sheriff’s Department learns of the new inquiry. The revised report findings now state that it was a “drowning and other undetermined factors” and the manner of death was changed. “Since there are many unanswered questions and limited additional evidence available for evaluation, it is opined by this Medical Examiner that the manner of death should be left as undetermined,” the report says. It is still unclear whether Wood fell off the boat or was pushed. The full details of the report were released Monday. The case was reopened after Dennis Davern, captain of Wagner’s 60 foot yacht, stepped forward to say that Wood disappeared after she and her husband Wagner had an explosive fight which Wagner allegedly shouted “Get off my f—— boat!” In the new report released Monday, the distress call from Wagner’s boat came an hour and a half after the time Wood was dead and there are conflicting statement as to when Wood went missing and whether the two fought. The sherriff’s spokesman has said that Wood’s twice-wed husband Robert Wagner was not a suspect.
Great list of everyday people who did extraordinary things that changed the lives of us all by altering the course of history. A little thing called Butterfly Effect or Ripple Effect. See as the eternal optimist all of our lives serve a purpose you just may not know what that is yet.
ON Jeff Probst show we find out that this baker was scouted in his bakery to star in the acclaimed 2012 movie Beast of the Southern Wild. I guess dreams really do come true plus it’s a welcome change from all the violence.